solve/fix that 1440×900 issue with 19″ LCD monitor

It’s been ages that I’ve been contemplating to acquire an external monitor for my laptop/s. So finally I did today. I bought a refurbished 19″ LCD Samsung SyncMaster 920NW for 105$. The colors are still vibrant, it seems fresh. But one problem – texts squashed, circle looks ellipses. Its distorted.

Problem, sounds easy… wrong resolution. Just a right click, properties, etc etc etc… Presto.

Surprise! Your monitor prompts you:   “Not optimum mode. Recommended 1440×900 60hz”

Again, sounds easy. Go back to your desktop properties – then select 1440×900 as it is the optimized resolution for your wide 19″ monitor. Lucky you if you have that resolution. Me? I DON’T.

I tried downloading Samsung’s driver. – NO LUCK.
Updated XP Driver. – SAME, NO LUCK.

Lots of lost souls in google. Seems nobody hasnt solve or fixed it yet.

Well, not really. I thought it was suppose to be fixed if you update your display driver.
(Im using HP 520 laptop so mine’s onboard and its intel. T’was discussed here:

It didnt help. you wont get that 1440×900 on the list.

Even if you pick those other updated intel driver.
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-028366.htm (keep this noted, youll find this useful – later on this post)

More google – and thank you Lord one smart man who encountered this issue way back 2007 FOUND AND FIX THE PROBLEM. Well for most of us though.

Ill quote his solution and mark red and green those key points you need to change. (on most case, you just need to edit 2 lines – might not be the same with others.):

After some research it appeared that the latest driver from Intel was not configured to support the resolution of 1440×900, even though after experimenting with settings within Windows display properties and actually getting it set to 1440×900 on one occasion. A quick Google also revealed the maximum resolution supported was 1680×1050. I was baffled as to why a graphics controller and its driver that allows a resolution as high as 1680×1050 would not allow me to set a resolution at the lower 1440×900.

It turns out that the driver is to blame. It seems Intel do not configure their driver to natively allow a resolution of 1440×900 (as well as other resolutions between 800×600 and the maximum supported resolution of 1680×1050). It seems this has also been a problem with other chipsets that Intel manufactures (from their 915 series upwards).

An inspection of the zip version of the driver (Intel provide 2 drivers, one in the form of a self extracting .exe and the other is a .zip file containing all the driver files) for my graphics controller revealed that a file within the driver- igxp32.inf (a setup information file) would allow me to specify extra resolutions that could be used by the computer after the driver was installed. Opening this file in notepad, one section immediately caught my attention:

[NonEDIDMode_AddSwSettings]

Within this section of igxp32.inf it appeared I could enable up to 5 extra resolutions for use within Windows display properties. The next line of the file has been commented by Intel:

HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 0 ; This shows number of DTDs to be used. ; 0–>Disable the feature.

Well I wanted to enable all the resolutions I could, so I changed the 0 to a 5 like so:

HKR,, TotalDTDCount, %REG_DWORD%, 5 ; This shows number of DTDs to be used. ; 0–>Disable the feature.

The next 5 lines within the file seemed to be the settings for the extra resolutions that would be added after this driver is installed. The first 4 had been set already to offer [email protected], [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] resolutions. The last, 5th line had no hexadecimal values, and the comment on the end of the setting was blank, so here is where I edited and added the resolution for the screen I was trying to get working. A quick Google of [email protected] revealed the hex values for that resolution to be:

HKR,, DTD_5,%REG_BINARY%, 97,29,A0,D0,51,84,20,30,50,98,13,00,00,00,00,00,00,1C,37,01 ;[email protected]

So I edited the 5th line to look like that above and saved the file. Upon un-installation of the old driver and installation of the newly modified driver, a quick delve into the settings in display properties revealed all 5 new resolutions selectable. I could now apply the 1440×900 resolution I wanted.

Thanks to him, he saved (me) the world.

His page: http://www.jjclements.co.uk/index.php/2007/07/19/intel-gfx-driver-resolution-fix/

40 Responses to solve/fix that 1440×900 issue with 19″ LCD monitor

1. Free Wii says:

For such a big company you think the least they could have done was test the drivers. Google solves all luckily! :mrgreen:

2. Nikhil says:

Google can find solution to almost everything.. :mrgreen:

3. Coupons says:

“For such a big company you think the least they could have done was test the drivers. Google solves all luckily! ”

It’s actually not that big of a company, but yeah thank God for Google.

4. Yeah it is pretty amazing at what Google does either despite or because of its size!

5. Serg says:

Very interesting article. Thanks You!!!

6. Wow!! Brilliant post, very informative. Thanks for sharing with him.

Regards,

7. Biber Hapı says:

thanks for sharing with us

8. Emo says:

Thanks for sharing that informative post. There are always a solution in every struggles.

9. Muscut says:

so you had bad time with your new 19” LG lcd monitor and bad luck too to sort out the resolution problem. but its good that is sorted out your problem in the end although you had to do hard search work. good luck..

10. It’s good to know you didn’t settle for the uncomfortable resolution. Without the right resolution, you wouldn’t really get the perfect viewing experience.

11. Look like I am lucky. I found that resolution without problem. 😉

12. From my exp, it might depend on max resolution. It has ever recommend at higher resolution (can’t remember), but once I install new device driver and 1440×900 is max. It recommend this resolution.

13. You can solution for every problem at Google. Great post!

14. thanks for sharing your experience with us.

15. Mick says:

Really great blog spot, thank’s for informative topics.

16. Kristin says:

Helpful topic thank’s for sharing!

17. yeni filmler says:

En Yeni Filmler,Oyunlar Ve Müziklerin Yeni Adresi

18. dizi izle says:

thank you. very nice sharing

19. En Yeni Filmler ünlülerin filmleri izlesene

20. En Yeni Filmler ünlülerin seks filmleri izlesene

21. finance says:

LG monitor are of good quality but its sad to know that you had bad experience with LG LCD. Its one on the reputed company in electronics industry. But its good that at the end of the day you solved the resolution problem. Thanks for sharing. good luck for next time..

22. DC Fans says:

Yes you are right LG monitors are good quality. But i also have good experience with LG LCD. There are no any resolution problem. I like your post. Thanks

23. Busty Cougar says:

I had exactly the same problem! I ended up bringing the monitor back to the store 😳

24. adt says:

Experienced a similar issue with another brand. And yes, did a Google search for the answer. Thanks for the post, I think it will help others with the same problem.

25. Thanks for providing the useful information with us. There is always solution for every problem. Great topic…. 😛

26. I always seem to have problem with widescreen monitors and screens. I havent tried windows 7 yet, but hopefully it has widescreen drivers with it.

27. Very informative post, keep on sharing more informative posts like this. Keep up your good work, eagerly waiting for your next post.

28. I bought a 32″ LCD TV specifically to view music composition software. I needed a large screen to view the 16 music tracks (voice, lead, rhythm, bass, drums, etc.) all at once. However, my laptop screen driver doesn’t have a match for the 32″ LCD TV screen size. The screen is actually stretched but, for musical scores, it’s perfectly suitable.

29. Jessica Pierce says:

I love your article. Nice post! thank you for sharing for free. You’d better optimize more your blog, so more people will visit and enjoy your nice posts. If you don’t mind, please also comment on my blog: credit repair kit for dummies. Thanks.

30. Your post is a good help. I am also looking for an external monitor for my laptop. i am still finding and canvassing what will best fits my laptop.

31. I found this post to be a really good and fulfilling read and I will be sure to bookmark and share your posts with my friends. Keep it up…

32. Andy says:

Well I think you don’t have the right configuration or cards. Mine is LG and its really awesome.

33. sikiş says:

Thank you! 😳

34. Ranee Wilbur says:

Yes , i agree that LG is one of the most reputed company of electronics but you had some bad experience with LG , and after read out your issue i found that there’s a resolution problem with your monitor and to fix it you can contact to the computer repair shop near by you hope it will fix your issue ..

Locksmith Neworleans