How an $8.00 .com made a 17 year old into a millionare

β€œAshley is the head of whateverlife.com, a website she started when she was just 14 β€” with eight dollars borrowed from her mother. Now, just three years later, the website grosses more than $1 million a year, providing Ashley and her working class family a sense of security they had never really known.”

source : Yahoo! People of the web

14 Responses to How an $8.00 .com made a 17 year old into a millionare

1. Greetings!

I read this post before I had my second cup of morning coffee, so it hit me hard and mercilessly (grin)! Fairly often I wonder if age REALLY is one of the determining factors in computer/internet success. Teenagers were brought up with the web, while I as a 62 years old bloke still struggle with the difference between bits and bytes… It is fairly rare to read: “Sixty years old grandmother became an internet millionaire in less than three year”, but young kids pop up surprisingly often on account of having achieved such success. Makes me feel even older and greyer than I am πŸ˜‰ !

Be well!

Jaap Verduijn, The Netherlands.

2. gabby says:

makaheram nga ng $8.00 kay mama! hehehe.

3. Jon Cardozo says:

After visiting the web site, I can’t believe she turned this into a $1,000,000 business! It is pretty inspiring, though. It proves there are so many possibilities out there.

4. I certainly tip off my hat to this young lady, though I must admit that the site nor the idea is that impressive. Sometimes you simply don’t know what will pay off. The “logical” business ideas that include a product will often times fail, while the virtual, abstract, and in many cases less long term beneficial ideas to society succeed. The critical issue to to try if even if you fail. It only takes one right idea to succeed.

5. There is a huge user base of teens surfing the web and it is much easier for a teen to communicate with their peers and to know exactly what they want. They also generally have larger social networks to promote their web sites which can really help if it is viral. I also believe internet marketing is a right time right place scenario, if you keep trying new things and keep up to date with what is going on in the internet world your turn will come.

Tara.

6. Like others I’m too old to see the exact point of the website in question, but I’ll NEVER be too old to admire any successful entrepreneur, of whatever age. She certainly did well!

Jaap Verduijn.

7. Geoff says:

I have visited her website and that was really cool. Very inspiring girl.

8. Jalaj says:

I read the whole story (10 pages in print) at fastcompany.com The story is very inspiring.

btw there is no post activity for about a month.

9. Davao says:

wow, this is inspiring. hard work can be well paid i guess:)

10. This is really quite amazing. Maybe we can learn something from this young girl? How much do we work and work to get a site indexed well? Maybe it is time to take lessons from a teenager.

11. I agree with Jason Pearson. Regardless of what age or background, I believe we can all learn something from many different people. This girl has done an outstanding job in under three years!

12. Soli says:

Nice! But is there a way I can get to meet her? Please don’t ask me for what. :mrgreen: πŸ˜† πŸ˜€

13. This is indeed a very inspiring story and it lets us know that anyone can find some great success online if they put in the work.

This is real encouraging to see her generate such great success in only three years.

14. This definitely makes me feel like I can do anything on the web and make it big.